Monday, May 30, 2011

Cinnamon Rolls for Marriage Proposal

After a nearly four month hiatus, I have no excuse. Simply, after a lovely dinner party at a friend's sister's this weekend, I was inspired to make another post. Besides being inspired, I have a recipe for gooey cinnamon rolls that will win you friends, boyfriends, or marriage.

Growing up in a small town in Michigan, every Memorial Weekend, my family would get together with family friends for the annual parade. We would make these cinnamon rolls, have fruit salad, and wait on the side of the road for the fire engines, floats, and candy. This is my first Memorial Day weekend away from home, and I wanted to bring the tradition to DC to share. And, it just so happens that I was invited to a pool party. Two birds? One stone.

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls:



Pillsbury Hot Roll Mix, 16 oz box (will need 2 T butter, 1 egg). Do not be scared by the yeast. You can do it!

· Follow directions on box to make dough

· After you make the dough, roll out to a 15 x 10 rectangle


Once you have the rectangle:

· Spread over dough 1/4 C softened butter

· Sprinkle with mixture of:

o 2/3 C brown sugar

o 1/3 C sugar

o 1 T cinnamon

o Optional: chopped pecans (I didn’t add, but you can)

Now comes the rolling. This part reminds me of little kids in sleeping bags, I don’t quite know why.

· Starting with 10" side of dough, roll up tightly pressing edges to seal

· Cut into 12 slices, place cut side down in greased pan

The pieces will look pretty small, but they will rise. I promise.


· Cover loosely w/plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in warm place 30 minutes


I made this the night before the pool party. After you let the dough rise, put it in the fridge.



· Bake 375 20-30 mins uncovered

Your kitchen will smell like cinnamon-y goodness. Nostolgia was flooding my mind as memories of childhoods spent licking frosting and pulling apart cinnamon rolls came into view.

Buttercream Frosting

(for more frosting 1 1/2 or 2 x recipe)

· 3 T butter, melted

· 1 1/2 C confectioner's sugar

· 1 t vanilla

· 1 T half & half, or more for thinner consistency

Blend with electric mixer until well blended. I like to heap this frosting on the cinnamon rolls.

Bring to your gathering and prepare to be oo’ed and ah’ed over. I was proposed to over these rolls. That good.



No comments:

Post a Comment