Sunday, January 16, 2011

Cut out cookies and Birthday Dinners

With the new year (well 2 weeks into it) and some gentle nudging (ahem encouragement) from a dear friend/my roommate, my blog is born. A few months ago I was posed with the difficult question of "my dream job," and after careful consideration I decided that it would be traveling, exploring, baking and blogging about my experiences. This dream came about as it combines so many things I love as well as my regular visits to (though not quite stalking of) a certain food blog that has revolutionized my fall - EatLiveRun. Until the blessed day comes forth on which I win the lottery and can actually have my dream job, I decided to turn my dream into a hobby.

My weekend is fast approaching its close. I can tell because my laundry is done, and my red carry-on suitcase is packed for the week. (Why do the 40 hours a week we spend working always seem to pass so much more slowly than the precious days we call weekend?)

I was fortunate to arrive home on Thursday night albeit my flight was delayed an hour from Albany to wake up in my own bed on Friday morning. After working in the morning, I went for a 3 mile run outdoors. I hadn't been running outside since last winter, but the sun was shining, and there is a trail I like near my apartment. So, I dusted off my UnderArmor running gear and headed into the 30 degree slight snow on the ground path. After my run, I ran errands. Errands to you probably seem rather dull. To me, though, errands make me feel like a regular citizen of the area, proof that I do, in fact, live in metro DC. With errands complete, I was content to "be good to myself" as my mom likes to say after a rough start to the new year. "Good to myself" translated to a mani/pedi. The mani/pedi was followed by making Jenna's Baked 4 Cheese Macaroni. It was seriously like heaven in my mouth. Four wonderful cheeses combined into one comforting bite. YUM

Saturday I found myself without a to-do list for the first time in weeks. I stayed in bed for awhile, thinking, praying, and pondering life's big questions. I'm thinking about going through the book, A Purpose Driven Life, by Rick Warren. It's my dad's recommendation, and I think it will help me get through the insanity that is my life right now. After some DVR-ed television watching, I decided it was time to make some old fashioned cut out sugar cookies. I followed the Real Simple's recipe. It's easy to do and not very time consuming. After all, I wanted to use some of my 101 cookie cutters. I chose my favorite/most random shapes - the contiguous United States, an umbrella, a heart, a star, a cat, and dollar signs. Once cool, I whipped up some Butter Cream frosting with powdered sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla and topped the cookies with sprinkles.

I think I decided I like baking so much because it is so relaxing and helps me feel a little bit in control :). I put on my favorite tunes (right now loving "Purple Sky" by Kid Rock - actually the whole "Born Free" album - and some classic John Melloncamp like "Small Town"), tie on my adorable apron from Anthropologie, and follow a recipe. Nothing exists outside the kitchen. It's a really nice feeling.

After the cookies were done, my roommate, her boyfriend, and I headed into the District to meet up with some other work friends and celebrate a birthday. We went to Founding Farmers for dinner. The food is American Farm inspired, all organic and as local as possible. Fantastic.

Today was church, ordering some pictures (I haven't printed any since August 2009!), and eating leftover macaroni.

No comments:

Post a Comment