Thursday, January 20, 2011

More snow in Albs

I wonder how many times you are going to see that post. I'm sitting in my studio, hoping beyond all reason that we are not going to get as big of a storm as is currently being predicted. Will I be spending the day in the airport tomorrow? No clue. Will I make it home tomorrow? I can only hope. I have not had to deal with this facet of travel yet. Factoid - it has snowed more days in Albany this week than it has not snowed. I do have to admit though, it was beautiful yesterday. I felt like I was in a snow globe as snow gently danced from the sky to lightly frost the trees.

My stay at the hotel has been pretty good this week. I got to catch up with the staff (Tip - make friends with the staff of establishments you frequent often!), the conceirge lounge had good food, the manager called to thank me for my loyalty (Tip - staying in the same hotel makes all the difference. I don't know how I will ever go back to not having status.), and the gym was not too packed. So far this week I have gotten three runs in, totaling 10 miles for the week. I've also started doing some ab work again, and my abs are sore as I type.

Last night we had a project dinner with the partner in charge of the project at The Brown Derby, a fantastic old Hollywood themed restaurant. The lighting was low, a large mahagony bar decorated the left side of the room, and old movie star silhouettes hung on the walls. We started with appetizers - crab cakes, mini burgers, shrimp brushetta. My project manager, a sommelier (wine taster) ordered wine for the table - a nice cabernet sauvignon and a pinot noir. Both were excellent choices. After salads came main courses. The restaurant is known for their award winning seafood chowder, but I did not sample it on this visit. Instead, I ordered pan seared sea scallops with asparagus and shrimp risotto (I just ate the leftovers). Fantastic food although the service was a little too slow. I very much enjoyed the dinner, sitting next to the partner and another senior manager, some of the only women on the project.

I'm at a crossroads in my project and uncertain how to proceed. I want to make the best choice for both my personal happiness and for my career progression.

I'm hoping to be sleeping in my own bed tomorrow and see friends this weekend. Pictures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment