Sunday, January 23, 2011

DC-ing and Brunching

What a great weekend it's been! Saturday morning started out with a great 4 mile run outside. The weather was chilly (teens), but it was nice to be outside in the sunshine. After some errands, I went into the District to meet up with my friend, Cat. We went to Ford Theater - the place Lincoln was shot. After a self guided tour through the museum (did you know that Lincoln was the tallest president at 6'4" and had to special order shoes for his size 14 feet?), we saw the actual theater. It's incredible how the history comes alive in this city! Afterwards we went to a hipster movie theater and saw "The King's Speech" - the movie was fantastic. I loved the acting, the music, the inspiring story. It's a feel good, we're rooting for you kind of movie. And then for the first time in over a month I ventured out in the city. Cat and I met up with our other friend Jen, her friend, and some people from their tech consulting project at The Iron Horse, a neat pub in Chinatown. I have yet to spend much time in Chinatown, but I liked the pub. We got a seat in a corner by the window, so we could catch up as we peoplewatched. From the Iron Horse, we went to the work friends' house for a get together. The DJ was great - top 40, remixes. Fun times overall.

And then today consisted of church (a great message about The Ten Commandments), brunching with Cat and Jen, and getting ready for Albs. We made a fantastic brunch at Jen's apartment, which consisted of:

Bagels and cream cheese (why is cream cheese so good? I could eat it with everything), scrambled eggs (bursting with flavor), sweet apple sausage (sweet and tangy), canadian bacon (little slices of bacon-y goodness), and fruit salad (love fresh fruit!).


Fruit salad of fresh blueberries, peaches, and bananas. This combination was perfect. Blended harmony in my mouth.

Scrambled eggs with garlic, onion, spinach, and cheddar cheese. Dynamite combo! Cheeeeese. I could live on cheese for 2 meals per day and be completely fine with that.

Our lovely setting. The brunch was served on special farmhouse china (us Midwesterners love that), coffee, peach oolong tea/juice, water, laughter, and good conversation. Perfect.

Also, I just finished "Cleopatra" by Stacy Schiff. It was a fantastic read documenting the life of the lost and little known details of Cleopatra's life. I usually read historical fiction, but this biography was a treat. I learned so much. I would definitely recommend it. My next book is "Prodigal Summer" by Barbara Kingsolver. (Thanks for the borrow, Jen!). I'm looking forward to reading it on the plane tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Alyssa, I am really enjoying your blog!! Even though we don't get to talk as much as we'd like, it's nice to know what you're up to :) Also, we saw the King's Speech this weekend too--loved it! And Cleopatra has been on my reading list, I'm glad to hear a good review...miss you, have a good week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Oolong tea. I was in a Japanese fish market and bought some strange teas. I had to. I bought "greet tea with roasted brown rice."
    Weird, right? I haven't tried it yet.
    Also, the eggs looked delicious. I've been eating a lot of eggs, and I had my first egg-white omelette the other day. I felt like a New Yorker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i read prodigal summer for biology class, sophomore year of high school. so random. haha. chestnuts and moth love are my favorite. you will soon understand....

    ReplyDelete