Saturday, January 29, 2011

Neglect and a Chilly Saturday

This little baby blog has been neglected for the past week. My apologies. Life changing events occurring. Yours truly will be calling Albany my weekday home for the next 9 months. Wow.

But, I'm back in DC for the weekend. The city in which Thunder Snow occurred and covered DC with 6 inches of snow. Last night I had a formal for my firm, which we were fondly calling "prom." It was held at the National Building Museum in Chinatown and had incredible food, atmosphere, drinks. And it was very fun to dress up - I felt like Cleopatra the Empress.

Today I was deciding how to spend my free day. Considering the snow, I decided to do some bonding with my apartment. With the cold and yearning for my previous life (aka college and home), I landed on Skinny Minny Tortilla Soup, an easy recipe from my mom, to make for dinner.

Skinny Minny Tortilla Soup
1 can refried beans
1 can chicken broth

Combine in sauce pan until mixed (only a few minutes with some stirring)

Add:
1 can corn
1 can black beans, drained
1 lg can chicken
3/4 cup salsa

Bring to a light boil, then turn down the heat to simmer. Your kitchen will smell like comfort and the southwest all in one aroma.

Now comes the even more fun part. Once ready to eat, crumble tortilla chips in the bottom of a bowl, ladle soup, place shredded cheese on top (you can use whatever you have, I shredded some montery jack cheese yummmmm), and sour cream.



Can you think of anything better to say home and comfort than a steaming bowl of this? Me either. After I was done with dinner, I realized I hadn't spent enough time in the kitchen. I was itching to get my baking pans out. Besides, my sweet tooth was calling. After a little internet searching I found a recipe for Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies with three ingredients. I was intrigued and decided to try it.

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg

That's it. Yes, it's really that simple.


Mix with an electric mixer until well blended. Once blended, roll into little 1.5 inch balls and place on non greased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes at 350.

Then think of these little balls of gooey goodness as a blank canvas. I rolled some in white sugar, some in white sugar + cinnamon (I'm loving cinnamon these days), and placed chocolate chips on some.

I was a little nervous how these would turn out since the dough was yummy but a little wet/slick. Pulling the cookie sheets out of the oven, there was a little pool of liquid surrounding each cookie. But, after they were off the pan and cooling, they were yummy and very moist. Not my favorite but still satisfied my sugar craving.

2 comments:

  1. That soup sounds delish, I'm going to have to try it! I made your mom's White Chicken Chili recipe tonight and it was so yummy. Gotta love soup/chili in the winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made your soup tonight! Yum yum! Tell your mom thanks for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete